About Academic Reps
Academic reps are the voice of students on their course who champions student views and ideas to the university. They work in partnership with the university, the Students' Union and their fellow course-mates to enhance the learning experience.
Find out who your academic reps are and how to contact them on the Find My Rep page.
Some of the key responsibilities are to:
- Encourage students to give feedback using the THINK BIG framework: what are the BEST aspects of their course, what are the areas that need IMPROVING and what new ideas they have to GET GOING that will improve the learning experience.
- Attend meetings to discuss THINK BIG ideas with your course team and to ensure students are aware of the progress and outcomes.
- Build relationships with students and staff across the university and work with them to develop the learning experience.
Course Reps are NOT expected to:
- Help students with issues of a personal or sensitive nature or individual complaints or appeals.
- Work without the support from Beds SU.
Become an Academic Rep
One of the most satisfying benefits of being a rep is knowing you can influence institutional development and make a positive impact on the student experience at the University. Being involved in academic representation is not only about maximising the potential of your course but also your own personal development.
Beds SU is committed to helping you develop the essential skills that you need to be successful in your role and have committed staff available to support and train you throughout the year. You will develop valuable skills that will increase your chances of employment, including communication, timekeeping, handling negative feedback, negotiation, problem-solving reflection, networking, assertiveness, public speaking and many more.
Staff on your course should speak to your cohort about electing an Academic Rep within the first few weeks of the academic year. Make sure you keep an eye out for information if you want to get involved. If it's not for you, make sure you know who your academic rep is in case you have any ideas or issues that you would like to share.
For further information, contact Be.Heard@beds.ac.uk
Already an Academic Rep but haven't heard a lot from us lately?
Once you are elected as a Rep, your details should be passed on to the Union, but this doesn't always happen. If you are acting as an Academic Rep but haven't been contacted by Beds SU about briefing and support opportunities, you can add yourself to our Rep database by completing this form.
Page created: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 18:31:00 GMT
Page updated: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 10:44:17 GMT